Cyanogenmod 10 which is based on AOSP (Jelly Bean) sources has been ported for Samsung Galaxy Fit. Oh really ? Yes, this is really shocking & rocking news for all Galaxy Fit owners. All credit goes to XDA Member TheWhisp who has compiled & ported the Cyanogenmod 10 from CM10 sources. Since Jelly Bean has been released with some noticeable changes, CM10 comes with the same. JB adds smarter keyboard, improved notification bar, smooth interface (Project Butter) & lot more..
Keep in mind, since ROM is developed only upto alpha stage, it may contain several bugs so ensure that you are comfortable to go ahead with that. Of course they’ll be fixed in later releases. (Refer the list given below for not working things).
List of Not working things quoted on official development page is added below:
1) Proximity, magnetic, orientation sensor
2) HQ video playback
Want to try out immediately ? If yes, then go for it..
Disclaimer: The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned over here is applicable only for Samsung Galaxy Fit with model number GT-S5670. Don’t try it on any other device or it may result in hard bricked device.
Procedure to update Galaxy Fit with CM10 :
For simplicity, we have divided this article in 2 simple steps:
Step 1: Clockworkmod Recovery Installation (Skip this step if you have already installed it)
- In order to install this ROM you must have custom recovery like clockworkmod installed on your Galaxy Fit. If you don’t have it already, follow the instructions given below to flash the same.
- Download the Clockworkmod Recovery & Odin Multi Downloader + OPS file. Extract the zip file (not clockworkmod) to any convenient location. Youll find Odin 4.38.exe & BENI_v1.0.ops in your Extracted Folder.
- Now, switch off your phone & enter into Downloading Mode By Pressing Volume down + Home button + Power key together. Open Odin, Place BENI_v1.0.ops on OPS tab. Tick on One Package Option & choose beni_cwm-5_ext4_v2.tar in the same tab. Connect the device to PC by keeping it in Downloading Mode. Press Start to flash CWM & wait for flashing process is finished.
You’ve replaced stock recovery by custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) & now you can proceed further for the remaining steps.
Step 2: Installation of Cyanogenmod 10
- Download CM10 Package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below):
- Cyanogenmod 10 for Galaxy Fit (Link updated to CM 10.1 on 31 Aug 13)
- Transfer ROM file to your device’s SD Card & then turn it off (switch off the device).
- Now you need to boot into recovery mode. To do so, press & hold Home Button + Power Key until recovery appears.
Note: On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your device’s phone memory & in case if something goes wrong after installation of the ROM therefore its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the current ROM. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system (including apps installed on SD card except other SD card data).
- After entering into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file which you’ve transferred earlier, highlight it, press Home button & select ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, press back button to land in recovery mode.
- This time select reboot system now to restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Note: If device gets stuck in the bootloop, enter into the recovery mode again, wipe all the data like mentioned above & restart the phone.
Cheers !! Your device is now running latest version of Android (Jelly Bean). Do let us know your thoughts on this newly installed ROM & how its working for you. If you any queries regarding the procedure mentioned above, comment it below, we will try out to sort out the same as early as possible.
Keep checking official development page for the latest updates.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to previously installed firmware, enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.
Latest posts by Viraj SK (see all)
- How to change Default System Icons on any Android Phone - December 1, 2013
- Make Statusbar Transparent & Change it according to App color - December 1, 2013
- Samsung Galaxy Core vs Sony Xperia M – Phone Comparison - October 2, 2013