Every smartphone gets upgrades up to a certain period of time. Once that period or limit is reached, manufacturer stops providing the upgrades. The Reason might be hardware limitations. Or it may something called marketing strategy (so that the customer should replace their phone with a new launched product having upgraded version of Android). It looks similar in case of Samsung Vibrant. T-Mobile has stopped pushing further upgrades to this device due to lack of processor speed & all.
No issues! Though T-Mobile doesn’t care about their Vibrant customers but there are some community of developers that are still working hard for this device. And the community is none other than Cyanogenmod. You might have heard about CM before. Let me explain you what is Cyanogenmod & why it is so famous over stock firmwares.
Basically, Cyanogenmod is a Custom ROM that brings you the latest updates, upgrades directly from AOSP sources. It means that devices that are incapable of getting latest Android viz, Android 4.2 due to some reasons are taken care by Cyanogenmod. It also adds its own customization settings that aren’t available in stock firmwares. Moreover it doesn’t contain any carrier specific bloatwares & all that annoying stuff. That’s why Cyanogenmod is famed all over the Android world.
With a release of Android 4.2, Cyanogenmod upgraded their mod version to 10.1 & now same is available for download to T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant customers. Now read on further to learn how you can upgrade your Samsung Vibrant to Android 4.2 via Official Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly build.
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for the same.
This guide is meant only for T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant having SGH-T959 model number. Trying on other variants of Samsung Galaxy S or on any other device may result in undesired outcomes.
- Ensure that you have charged your Vibrant at least up to 70% so that installation process wont get interrupted due to lack of battery power.
- It is highly recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- You can’t proceed further unless you do have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone. It’s essential for flashing Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM.
Procedure to Update Samsung Vibrant to Android 4.2.1 via Official Cyanogenmod 10.1:
- Download CM 10.1 package from Cyanogenmod official download page.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps. | Filename: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip (89.98 MB)
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it & transfer both the files (without extracting them) on the root directory of internal memory.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. To do that, switch off the phone completely & wait till it vibrates. Press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode appears.
- After getting into the recovery mode, take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, select Backup and Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card).
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes SMS/MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to confirm the installation.
- After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate to Google Apps zip file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to confirm the installation.
- After getting done with installation of both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Note: If you don’t like this ROM or doesn’t feel comfortable with it then in that case you can restore back your previous ROM using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM
Great ! Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based Custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now up & running on your Samsung Vibrant. For further updates & bug fixes, keep checking official CM page. If you have any query regarding the procedure, do let us know by commenting it below, we will try our best to sort out it.
Latest posts by Viraj SK (see all)
- How to change Default System Icons on any Android Phone - December 1, 2013
- Make Statusbar Transparent & Change it according to App color - December 1, 2013
- Samsung Galaxy Core vs Sony Xperia M – Phone Comparison - October 2, 2013