Recently Samsung has announced official Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S Advance users. But still it will take a lot of time before it is actually rolled out by Samsung. Not to worry because you have a variety of custom ROMs which you can install. Also custom ROMs are famous for their highly customizable features. But you need custom recoveries to install custom ROMs.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery and it is getting famous over CWM these days. It has fully touch interface and many other great features. You can flash various ROMs, do Wipe Data/Factory Reset and backup your whole ROMs using nanroid backup with this recovery. Further in this tutorial, easy steps are given which you can follow to install TWRP Recovery on your device.
Disclaimer: The procedure discussed further in this article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. You should not go for it if you are unaware of things discussed in it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only forSamsungGalaxy S Advancehaving model number GT-I9070. Trying it on other variants or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
Note: Since this TWRP recovery is a modded Gingerbread Kernel, it won’t work with Jelly Bean Firmwares.
- Battery of your phone must be at least 70% charged in order to haveuninterrupted installation proceess.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- In order to use USB debugging mode on your phone, device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually,click here.
Procedure to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070:
- Download flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader v3.04) & TWRP Recovery Package from the links mentioned below :
- Extract TWRP Recovery (GT-I9070-GB_TWRP-KERNEL-DiegoCH.rar) in your computer. Youll findGT-I9070_GB_TWRP_KERNEL.tar.md5in your extracted folder.
- Now switch off your phone. In order to flash the firmware, you need to enter into the downloadingmode. Downloadingmode can be entered by HoldingPower Key+Volume Down Button+Home Buttonsimultaneously.
- After entering into the downloadingmode, youll see “Downloading..” text in yellow. Keeping your phone in downloadingmode, connect it to the PC.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader which youve just downloaded. If your device is properly connected then youll see that the ID:COM section has been turned yellow. (If it is not then you need to install proper drivers of your phoneORsimply installSamsung Kiesfrom the CD which youve got at the time of purchase).
- In Odin, select PDA & chooseGT-I9070_GB_TWRP_KERNEL.tar.md5file. Keep all the remaining things as it is.
- Important!!Make sure thatRe-Partitioncheck box is not selected.
- Now simply press Start button to initiate flashing process. It will hardly take 6-7 Minutes to get over.
- As soon as Odin finished the process, ID:COM section will turn Green & will show Pass in the box above ID:COM section.
- Disconnect your Device from PC.
- Turn off it again since whole procedure isn’t over yet. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode. The same can be entered by HoldingVolume Up + Home Key + Power Buttonsimultaneously.
- In the Recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition. You have to use Volume Up/Down keys to highlight those options & Home button to select them.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to Restart the Phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully , youll land in TouchWiz Home Screen.
- If at any stage Odin gets stuck or you getFAILEDmessage disconnect your phone from PC. Close Odin software. Remove the battery from phone and re-insert it. Again go into downloading mode and follow same procedure.
There you go!! You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S Advance. Now you can flash various custom ROMs on your phone.Do let us know how it is working for you. If you have got any doubt, feel free to ask it in the commentsbelow. We will try our best to solve it.
Latest posts by Shreyas (see all)
- Update Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini to Android 4.4.1 KitKat via Cyanogemod 11 - December 10, 2013
- Connect Samsung Galaxy Gear to Any Phone - November 30, 2013
- How to Root & Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Gear - November 30, 2013